Sunday, June 5, 2011

Awesome Shows You Didn't Watch

I'm a fan of the NBC comedy "Community" and think Joel McHale and friends are the sharpest ensemble on TV today.  But America seems to disagree.  According to TVbythenumbers.com, "Community" ranked 138th in total viewers this season.  I figured the show, which just completed its second season, must be strong with the young demographic.  Wrong again.  Abed and friends placed just 94th in the key 18-49 demo.

The show is clever, tight and laugh-out-loud funny.  So why is "Community" not a hit?  I love you, but the answer is you America.  And it's not the first time you've missed the boat on a potential classic.  Here, as a public service, are shows that should have made it big- but didn't.

"It's Your Move" (1984-85)

I mentioned in my first blog that I would tell you why this show should have won an Emmy.  I wasn't lying.  Jason Bateman perfected the snarky character he developed in "Silver Spoons" and took it another level as Matthew Burton.  He was always running scams, but ultimately met his match in his mom's new boyfriend, Norman (Married With Children's David Garrison.)  Matthew had a great sidekick in the pudgy Eli, plus he had a hot mom and hot sister.  And this show also featured perhaps the greatest character actor ever, Ernie Sabella.  A recipe for awesomeness, but the audience never found it and "It's Your Move" lasted just 18 episodes.  It's a shame, because "The Dregs of Humanity" two-parter ranks among my favorite sitcom episodes ever.



USA Network aired reruns for a bit in the '90s, but sadly the series hasn't seen the light of day since then.  Thank goodness for Youtube.

"Crazy Like a Fox" (1984-86)

I was a fan of all the 80's hourlong detective/cop/crime shows (Magnum, The A-Team, Simon & Simon, Hart to Hart, etc.)  This forgotten gem stands up there with them.  Jack Warden was the loose cannon detective. John Rubinstein played his uptight lawyer son.  Chaos ensued and was solved in an hour.  Warden was nominated for an Emmy in both seasons, and there was a reunion movie in 1987.





"Freaks and Geeks" (1999-2000)

This much-loved, little watched series is on many people's underappreciated list.  If you never watched it, think "Wonder Years" set in 1980.  In my opinion, the series would have had a better chance at success as a half-hour show, rather than 60 minutes.  But there's no denying the quality.  Judd Apatow produced the show, which helped launch the careers of James Franco, Seth Rogen and Jason Segel.  Fortunately, the complete series is on DVD. 

"Blue Thunder" (1984)

The far superior, but less successful of the helicopter shows of the 80's.  Somehow "Airwolf" lasted for three seasons, while "Blue Thunder" flamed out after 11 episodes.  Based on the movie starring Roy Scheider, the TV series starred James Farentino.  But what made "Blue Thunder" awesome was the supporting cast.  I give you Dick Butkus, Bubba Smith and to top it off, a pre-"Saturday Night Live" Dana Carvey.  Touchdown!  I'm proud to say that I own the complete series DVD.






"Boston Common" (1996-97) /"The Single Guy"(1995-97)

I loved both of these shows, and technically they were both "hits" during their rookie seasons.  NBC's Must See Thursday, led by "Seinfeld" and "Friends" was ruling the airwaves and whatever the Peacock trotted out to round out the night became smashes.  Or as Jerry Seinfeld himself referenced in "The Butter Shave" episode, they were the timeslot hits- the fish eating his laughs.  (See Veronica's Closet, Suddenly Susan, Caroline in the City and Union Square.)  "Boston Common" and "The Single Guy" were the best of that group.  Both were in the top-10 in their first season, then floundered when NBC moved them to other nights.  No DVDs for either show.  Both ran on USA's morning comedy block in the late 90s.  Incidentally, Zach Galifianakis made his TV debut in "Boston Common", in a recurring role as a stoner character.

Honorable Mention:

"Sledge Hammer!" (1986-88)

I love it for the fact that the producers thought the show would be canceled after one season, so in the final episode had Hammer accidentally blow up the city.  Then the show was renewed, and the second season became a prequel.  "Trust me.  I know what I'm doing."

"Arrested Development" (2003-2006)

Another critical darling.  Another Jason Bateman vehicle.  Can't say I was a regular viewer, but the shows I did watch were hysterical. 

"Goodnight, Beantown" (1983-84)

I honestly can't say I remember much about this show, which starred Bill Bixby and Mariette Hartley.  I just remember I liked it.  And TV/radio shows almost always work for me.

"Sara" (1985)

Geena Davis starred in this legal aid comedy, which also featured Alfre Woodard, Bill Maher (!) and Bronson Pinchot.  This may be Pinchot's only role where he doesn't speak with a funny accent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment